Thursday, November 26, 2009

Music

Music... I used to sing in a small chorus in high school. We went through 3 directors in the three years that I was involved.

But I only really enjoyed the music one year. Our directors were real task masters. They demanded our focus and attention.

Our chorus didn't audition people. Anyone could join but you had to pay attention to their direction or you would experience their wrath. They never demanded ability and were quick to work within limitations, as long as you were willing to try.

We thrived, we sounded better than we deserved to sound. Singing became a joy. The euphoria of a well sung song was addictive, and we had fun singing. So when I thought of music I thought of the joy of singing.

9 comments:

  1. Thank you! I wasn't feeling great about this one so I appreciate your kind words!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much! This is the first our notes of Deck the Halls. I'm glad it hit a note with you.

    Oh that was a terrible pun. I apologize for that one ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kate!
    I haven't been on in a while, but have checked in to see your I.F. drawings. I love seeing your submissions! Unbalanced and Skinny are 2 of my recent favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well whatever you did study at MassArt transferred well in your illustrations! I really enjoyed this post about your chorus classes. I always like reading the stories that go with your illustrations. You captured that joyful feeling in your illustration. Creative solution, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you!

    Jeff, thanks, unbalanced was very fun to draw and even more fun to pose for ;) And skinny... well I have a thing for greyhounds. I'm glad you are enjoying my efforts!

    Ann Marie, thank you, I studied video, and performance art, and dabbled in everything I could get my hands on, paper making, fibers, clay, sculpture, printmaking... everything. Mostly I think of myself as a storyteller of some sort. Thanks for all of the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As a conductor of a VERY small chorus which struggles with the things you mention, I can totally understand your comments. They are so right-on. And it IS all about the joy of singing. Thanks for providing such a perfect conjoinment of visual and musical art.

    ReplyDelete