Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Strong...





Okay maybe this wasn't the best image for strong. Basicly I illustrated a line from a song. The Hilo Hattie Hop... about this hawaiian girl who does a hula that so amazing that it stops traffic and leaves nothing to the imagination.


The line was:


Babies hush, women blush, strong men pass out... when Hilo Hattie does the Hilo Hop.


I always loved it.


So did I illustrate Strong? Is it the man passed out? The blushing women who stayed on their feet? The quiet baby who doesn't blush? Or Hilo Hattie's dance that causes such melee?




Edited 9/10/09:


My good friend Jeff suggested that I try a yellow sky to bring out the blushes in the women's cheeks. I had originally planned a sunset but changed my mind with out trying. So here is the updated version. I do like it better. Thank you Jeff!

4 comments:

  1. Kate!
    Your strongest composition yet! The camera angle you have your viewer at is great! I feel like I'm peeping right along with the baby, the ladies and the out-cold man.
    A yellow setting sun might be a nice way to draw attention to the ladies' expressions while adding to the tropical feel. Just a thought!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice Jeff! You know a sunset was my original thought there but I somehow convinced myself it would take away from the women blushing. I'm going to go ahead and try it and see which one works best. I'll post it so we all decide. together.

    You know though the camera angle is really just cowardess... or maybe invention. I really couldn't quite imagine this dance that stopped traffic and made the sailors leave their ship at sea and swim to the shore. I thought if I showed the least amount of the dance the better off I'd be. But I wanted that sensual swing of the hip. So there we have it.

    I should use my close forground more often. Sometimes I feel like I suffer a deplorable lack of imagination composition wise and other times I suspect I just need more practice.

    My coment is longer than my post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice Kate!
    I think the warmer sky works better too - the blue ocean is clearer. Mucho tropical! I love seeing your drawings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Jeff! You know I love to see your work too! And I always appreciate your comments. Thanks for checking in on me!

    ReplyDelete